Explore your creative side in our warm and friendly, purpose-built spacious studios, together in their own designated zone within the college.
The creative industries infiltrate our world through endless routes of specialised creativity including painting, textiles, printmaking, graphics, fashion, computer design, concept art and sculpture to name but a few.
The UAL Level 2 Award and Diploma in Art and Design can help you take your first steps towards a career in visual arts. You will learn essential skills throughout the year, including following briefs, meetings clients’ needs, and communicating your ideas through art, design, and exploration.
The qualification gives you the chance to explore your creative abilities, develop your individual knowledge, skill and understanding.
What you'll learn
This course is the UAL Level 2 Award and Diploma in Art and Design
During the course you will work to gain:
- An awareness of different viewpoints and approaches within the arts industry both historical and contemporary
- Skills in research, analysis and evaluation to assist in your development of creative solutions when meeting a brief
- An ability to use safely the appropriate materials, techniques and processes necessary for the production and application of art
- Reflective evaluative and annotation skills to help you with your individual learning development and decision making, planning and time management
- Practical 2D and 3D skills through research, experimentation and design
How you'll learn and be assessed
UAL Awarding Body offers structured professional qualifications for anyone taking their first steps into the world of work, recognised by universities throughout the United Kingdom. You will follow a one-year programme that will prepare you for your next step in your education and career prospects.
Throughout the year, you will cover a variety work in a wide range of art areas. You will be required to demonstrate in-depth research for each unit, a range of practical skills, personal experimentation and development and written reflection and evaluation, these will be assessed using a grading scale of Pass, Merit and Distinction.
UAL Awarding Body believes in transformative education. They design and award creative qualifications that empower and inspire educators to help students reach their potential.
UAL Awarding Body is regulated by Ofqual, Qualifications Wales and CCEA Regulation and currently offers qualifications in Art and Design, Fashion Business and Retail, Creative Media Production and Technology, Music Performance and Production and Performing and Production Arts. They are also the UK’s leading provider of the Foundation Diploma in Art and Design. Their qualifications have high retention and achievement rates because they are flexible, responsive and relevant to industry needs, and facilitate student progression.
In the process of completing this qualification, you will develop a selection of work that will help you to progress to:
- our Level 3 UAL Extended Diploma in Creative Practice: Art, Design and Communication
- another Level 3 course in a different subject area
- or an apprenticeship
You will need a minimum of three GCSEs at grade 3 (D) or above including English and usually maths. Level 1 qualification in Art and Design or a portfolio of work (from school and or out of school).
If you do not have a grade 4 (C) in GCSE English language and/or maths you will be required to be working towards achieving these alongside your art course. We will also need to see your latest school report.