The use of IT is transforming the way we do business, access recreation and enjoy culture. This Level 3 Diploma will prepare you for careers in the specialist IT world, or for moving on to higher education studies. You will learn a mixture of business, technical, interpersonal and project skills needed in modern IT and telecommunications roles.
We do recognise that there are different streams of learning IT professionals and would like to follow and offer flexible qualifications, allowing us to offer distinct pathways including:
- “Networking and System Support” for those that want to become network administrators and technicians
- “Software Development” for those that chose to go either the route of web design/development or any job in software development
What you'll learn
You work on a series of individual and group projects which cover subjects such as:
Core units include:
- communication and employability skills for IT
- computer systems
- information systems
- networking and systems support
- managing networks
- computer networks
- communications technologies
- IT technical support
- IT systems troubleshooting and repair
- software design and development
- systems analysis and design
- event driven programming
- website production
- client side customisation of web pages
How you'll learn and be assessed
The Computing Level 3 National Extended Diploma, has strong links to industry, reflected through guest speakers and outside clients. The course team invites industry practitioners for master classes and there is a strong element of online learning. Your independence will grow in line with your subject knowledge and technical skills.
As part of your programme, you will also have to do work experience and work to improve on your English and Maths where necessary. We do offer the opportunity of working in our own IT or ILT Learning Companies. All students are expected to work a minimum of 4 days a week on their course.
Formal assessment is set at regular intervals throughout the course and includes:
- assignments – testing your theory knowledge
- live brief projects – for instance, some students make websites for real clients
- presentations – to panels of experts and your peers
- practical assessments – of your own work
The Computing Level 3 National Extended Diploma is assessed through coursework, there is no exam element for this programme but additional qualifications in areas such as English or maths are assessed by an external exam.
Networking may also have an element delivered through online Cisco units. Individual learning targets are set and reviewed each term with your tutor and you receive regular feedback on your progress in meeting these targets.
5 or more GCSEs grades A*-C (9-4) including English and maths and/or a completed Level 2 award (preferably in Media or Games Development , Computer Science / ICT)
If you are interested in a Level 3 programme and have alternative qualifications you would like us to consider please contact us with your details