Higher Education Clearing
If you are looking to start with us on a Higher Education course this September, don’t miss out on securing your place during Clearing. Contact us on our Clearing hotline 07912 516589 or firstname.lastname@example.org
There is also the option to study this course part-time.
The Pearson BTEC HNC Business helps you develop as a professional, self-reflecting individual, able to meet the demands of employers in the business sector and adapt to a constantly changing world. The qualification offers a nationally recognised higher education qualification and chance to enhance your career prospects.
The HNC in Business is a modular business programme delivered fully online by our teachers through our Virtual Learning Environment. When you study with Activate Learning, you will belong to a group of students studying the HNC and have regular one to ones, group interactions and taught sessions with a team of highly-qualified and experienced teachers with business experience.
We understand the unique needs of students studying online; we appreciate that you may be juggling work, family and other commitments, and at Activate Learning we are really experienced in supporting you. We have a dedicated team of Higher Education Study Support Tutors who are on hand if you need additional help.
After successfully completing the 8 units for the HNC, you can progress to our HND in Business Management and complete another 8 units. We offer excellent progression so once you have achieved your HND you can continue your studies and ‘Top Up’ to a BA (Hons) degree ( subject to meeting entry requirements).
The HNC qualification is a solid foundation in business aimed at students who would like a broad knowledge of all Business Management concepts. The objectives of the Pearson BTEC Higher Nationals in Business are as follows:
- To equip students with business skills, knowledge and the understanding necessary to achieve high performance in the global business environment.
- To provide education and training for a range of careers in business, including management, administration, human resources, marketing, entrepreneurship, accounting and finance.
- To provide insight and understanding into international business operations and the opportunities and challenges presented by a globalised market place.
- To equip students with knowledge and understanding of culturally diverse organisations, cross-cultural issues, diversity and values.
- To provide opportunities for students to enter or progress in employment in business, or progress to higher education qualifications such as an Honours degree in business or a related area.
- To provide opportunities for students to develop the skills, techniques and personal attributes essential for successful working lives.
- To provide opportunities for those students with a global outlook to aspire to international career pathways.
- To provide opportunities for students to achieve a nationally-recognised professional qualification.
- To offer students the chance of career progression in their chosen field.
- To allow flexibility of study and to meet local or specialist needs.
- To offer a balance between employability skills and the knowledge essential for students with entrepreneurial, employment or academic aspirations.
Home/EU* Fee for September 2021 entry: £6,165 per year
Please note: Tuition fees are published for the first year of entry only and may increase in subsequent years both for new and continuing students in line with an inflationary amount determined by the Office for Students.
*Fee information for European Union (EU) students: If your course starts on or after the 1st August 2021, you will no longer be eligible for financial support from Student Finance England unless you meet one of the following criteria:
- you are able to benefit from the citizens’ rights agreements
- you are an Irish national living in the UK or Republic of Ireland – benefits of Irish nationals under Common Travel Area guidance arrangement will continue
If you need any further information or guidance, please contact us at HE@activatelearning.ac.uk
What you'll learn
The HNC in Business has 6 core units:
- Business and the Business Environment
- Marketing Essentials
- Human Resource and Management
- Management and Operations
- Management Accounting
- Managing a successful Business project
In addition, we deliver 2 specialist units:
- Business law
- Entrepreneurship and Small Business management
You will therefore study 8 units in total. The year is divided into 2 semesters, 4 units will be delivered in each 16-week semester.
The HNC will also develop your academic writing and research skills and give you the opportunity develop transferable skills such as communication, teamwork and problem solving.
- After successful completion of the 8 units for the HNC, you can progress to an HND in Business Management delivered by Activate Learning. On the HND you will complete a further 8 units. Following completion of the HND, you can then apply to ‘Top Up’ your qualification to a BA (Hons) degree subject to meeting entry requirements.
How you'll learn and be assessed
The HNC in Business Management is a modular business programme delivered fully online by our teachers through our Virtual Learning Environment. When you study with Activate Learning, you will belong to a group of students studying the HNC and have regular one to ones, group interactions and taught sessions with a team of highly-qualified and experienced teachers with business experience.
We understand the unique needs of students studying online; we understand you may be juggling work, family and other commitments, and at Activate Learning we are really experienced in supporting you. We have a dedicated team of Higher Education Study Support Tutors who are on hand if you need additional help.
If you do not have a recognised disability or specific learning difficulty, but feel that you require additional support with your studies, you may be eligible to access some discrete sessions in one of the following areas:
- assistive software training
- IT upskilling
- essay planning and structure
- proofreading and editing written work
- bibliographies and referencing
- time management and personal organisation
- revision and exam tips
- presentation techniques
Additional requirements and costs
As this programme is delivered online to complete the course you will need reliable WiFi and a computer or laptop with a camera and microphone. Textbooks are available from our library bit you may wish to purchase personal copies of the core texts These will cost approximately £100
- A minimum of 64 UCAS points, or
- Relevant Access to Higher Education Diploma, or
- Level 3 Extended Diploma in Business or related subject, at a Merit
And GCSE grade 4 or above in Maths and English. Other L2 qualifications in English and Maths may be accepted
Other entry routes
We will consider a range of alternative qualifications or experience equivalent to the typical offer. Contact us for details if you believe your experience is relevant or you have different qualifications to those stated.
Applicants whose first language is not English must also demonstrate that their level of English is acceptable, by achieving a score in a recognised test such as:
- British Council IELTS: normally minimum level 5.5 overall with a minimum of 5.5 in the reading and writing components
How to apply
Applicants should apply through the UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) website. All courses will be listed under Activate Learning on the UCAS website.