Have a passion for animals?
Investigate the physiology, behaviour and welfare of a range of species underpinned by contemporary issues in animal science, supported by the study of the wide range of species in the College’s Animal Management Centre and in relevant commercial settings through talks and demonstrations from guest speakers and trips. Underpinning theory is delivered in the classroom. Industrial experience, assessed through the professional development module over two years, will be undertaken in a related field and will give you invaluable experience in your specialism with 200 hours to be undertaken each year at a relevant employer ideally with domestic species.
You must have an interest in pursuing a career in animal science. The programme is ideal if you have previous animal experience or if you have achieved a Level 3 related animal course, however this is not compulsory.
- New exciting Animal Management Centre including state-of-the-art facilities such as a desert biome, tropical biome and nocturnal room.
- Over 130 different animal species including meerkats, coatis, hornbills and red squirrels.
- Industry experience provides an invaluable opportunity to work in a variety of settings to support your chosen career path.
- Friendly learning environment with small class sizes and excellent student support.
- Merrist Wood College is highly regarded in the animal industry as the leading animal education establishment in Surrey.
- Taught by expert, passionate tutors with industry experience.
- You will have the opportunity to take part in one of our optional residential study tours which currently run in South Africa and Jersey.
Home/EU* Fee for September 2022 entry: £8,000 per year
Please note: Tuition fees are published for the first year of entry only and may increase in subsequent years both for new and continuing students in line with an inflationary amount determined by the Office for Students.
*Fee information for European Union (EU) students: If your course starts on or after the 1st August 2021, you will no longer be eligible for financial support from Student Finance England unless you meet one of the following criteria:
- you are able to benefit from the citizens’ rights agreements
- you are an Irish national living in the UK or Republic of Ireland – benefits of Irish nationals under Common Travel Area guidance arrangement will continue
If you need any further information or guidance, please contact us at HE@activatelearning.ac.uk
What you'll learn
Year 1: animal health, welfare and nutrition (30 credits), principles of animal science (30 credits), professional development in the work environment 1 (30 credits) and animal behaviour (30 credits). Total 120 credits.
Year 2: professional development in the work environment 2 (30 credits); research methods (30 credits); advanced animal nutrition (30 credits); comparative anatomy and physiology (30 credits). Total 120 credits.
All students are supported with academic development and you will have access to a personal tutor.
How you'll learn and be assessed
A range of theory, practical and work placements.
Top-up to a BSc (Hons) in one more year at Merrist Wood College. A range of exciting new top-up degrees are currently being developed to start September 2019 (subject to validation). This programme is focused on learners interested in working within animal science related industries such as animal nutrition, animal technology or within veterinary laboratories.
The minimum entry qualifications for the programme are:
- A levels: 64 UCAS points normally in science based subjects
- BTEC: 64 UCAS points normally in science based subjects
- Access Diploma: Pass
Plus: You’ll also need an English and maths GCSE at grade 4 (C) and it is advantageous to have science (biology) or psychology.
A minimum IELTS score of 6, TOEFL equivalent is required for those for whom English is not their first language.
Please note: These entry requirements are subject to change.
Fees shown are per year.
The academic regulations for this programme can be found on the University’s website.
Terms and conditions for enrolment can be found on our website.
Applicants should apply through the UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) website. This includes students already at Merrist Wood College. All courses will be listed under Guildford College on the UCAS website.
How to apply
Applicants should apply through the UCAS (the Universities and Colleges Admissions Service) website. All courses will be listed under Activate Learning on the UCAS website.